The ball has dropped, the calendar has turned, and now it is 2018! Broadway is, as Hamilton says, “non-stop,” and we have plenty of updates on tickets, extensions, casting, and everything in between. Here’s everything you may have missed since the new year!
ONCE ON THIS ISLAND – Norm Lewis and Tamyra Gray have stepped into the roles of Agwe and Papa Ge, have stepped into the cast of the celebrated revival of Once on This Island!
- Once on This Island is the universal tale of Ti Moune, a fearless peasant girl in search of her place in the world, and ready to risk it all for love. Guided by the mighty island gods (played by Tony Award® winner Lea Salonga, Alex Newell, Tamyra Gray, and Norm Lewis), Ti Moune sets out on a remarkable journey to reunite with the man who has captured her heart. The groundbreaking vision of Tony Award-nominated director Michael Arden (Spring Awakening revival) and acclaimed choreographer Camille A. Brown conjures up “a place where magic is possible and beauty is apparent for all to see!” (The Huffington Post). Gather around for ONCE ON THIS ISLAND—the musical NY1 hails as “exhilarating theater! It’s impossible to resist!” And where the timeless power of theatre brings us together, moves our hearts, and helps us weather the storm.
CHICAGO – The company of Chicago is pleased to welcome Grammy Award-winning Singer-Songwriter, Actress and TV Sensation Kandi Burruss for eight weeks only! Burress is making her Broadway debut at the Ambassador Theatre as Matron “Mama” Morton through March 11th. In addition, tickets for Chicago are now on sale through September 30.
- With a legendary book by Fred Ebb and Bob Fosse, music by John Kander and lyrics by Fred Ebb, Chicago is now the #1 longest-running American musical in Broadway history. Set amidst the razzle-dazzle decadence of the 1920s, Chicago is the story of Roxie Hart, a housewife and nightclub dancer who murders her on-the-side lover after he threatens to walk out on her. Desperate to avoid conviction, she dupes the public, the media and her rival cellmate, Velma Kelly, by hiring Chicago’s slickest criminal lawyer to transform her malicious crime into a barrage of sensational headlines, the likes of which might just as easily be ripped from today’s tabloids.
ROCKTOPIA – Pat Monahan, creator and lead singer of the band TRAIN, is joining the company of ROCKTOPIA from March 20 to April 8! Catch this electrifying new theatrical event for six weeks at the Broadway Theatre from March 20th to April 29.
- ROCKTOPIA is Broadway’s new theatrical event featuring the greatest music from today and all time—from the dramatic sweep of Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky and Copland, to the modern drive of Pink Floyd, Styx, Journey, Queen and more. Six world-class vocalists and a powerfully large choir, backed by a full symphony orchestra and a five-piece rock band, perform the world’s most legendary music in a totally unique fusion of sounds like never heard before.
Cruel Intentions: The ’90s Musical Experience – Cruel Intentions has extended it’s run for the second time! Tickets are now on sale through March 16th for this “ultimate night out!” – Entertainment Weekly.
- Cruel Intentions: The ’90s Musical Experience pulls you into the manipulative world of Manhattan’s most dangerous liaisons: Sebastian Valmont and Kathryn Merteuil. Seduced by revenge and fueled by passion, the two diabolically charming step-siblings place a bet on whether or not Sebastian can deflower their incoming headmaster’s daughter, Annette Hargrove. As the two set out to destroy the innocent girl—and anyone who gets in their way—they find themselves entangled in a web of secrets, temptation, and the cruelest game of all: love. Featuring your favorite throwback hits by artists like Boyz II Men, Christina Aguilera, REM, *NSYNC, and, of course, Britney Spears, NYC’s most intoxicating new musical is a full-on ’90s party. Yes, it’s the movie you love, set to the songs you know, performed live, with drinks…and missing out might just ruin your reputation.
Puffs, or: Seven Increasingly Eventful Years at a Certain School of Magic and Magic – Puffs, the smash play based on the hit novel about “The Boy Who Lived,” has extended at New World Stages through November 4! The weekly playing schedule also includes two weekend “family friendly” matinees – made for wizards ages 8 and up.
- “‘Hufflepuffs’ finally get their moment in HILARIOUS Potter play, ‘PUFFS’!!” declares Mashable. For seven years a certain boy wizard went to a certain Wizard School and conquered evil. This, however, is not his story. This is the story of the Puffs… who just happened to be there too. A tale for anyone who has never been destined to save the world. The New York Times proclaims PUFFS, “A FAST-PACED ROMP through the ‘Seven Increasingly Eventful Years at a Certain School of Magic and Magic.’ For POTTERphiliacs who grew up alongside Potter and are eager to revisit that world, ‘PUFFS’ exudes a jovial, winking fondness for all things Harry!” This clever and inventive play “never goes more than a minute without a laugh” (Nerdist) giving you a new look at a familiar adventure from the perspective of three potential heroes just trying to make it through a magic school that proves to be very dangerous for children. Alongside them are the Puffs, a group of well-meaning, loyal outsiders with a thing for badgers “who are so lovable and relatable, you’ll leave the theater wishing they were in the stories all along” (Hollywood Life). Their “hilariously heartfelt!” (Metro) and epic journey takes the classic story to new places and reimagines what a boy wizard hero can be.
There is something special about NYC in the wintertime. The tree in Rockefeller Center, the windows at Saks, and the cold weather- which brings out the great winter accessories and a desire to go inside and stay inside! We can think of a few places that you could spend a few hours indoors beating the cold… Perhaps it’s the Al Hirschfeld theatre, or maybe it’s the Majestic.
The best part about gifting someone a ticket to a Broadway show is that usually tickets come in pairs! So, it’s a gift for someone else…. but also a gift for you! We all have those family members that are hard to shop for, so here’s a little inspiration if you’re feeling down on your luck:
- The relative that’s too stylish & trendy and most likely returns everything you buy him/her: KINKY BOOTS!
This musical is all about fashion, style, and sass. Your fashionable relative will love all the amazing costumes, knockout songs, and of course- fabulous boots this show has to offer! Read more & get tickets HERE.
- The younger relative that likes his/her iPad more than playing outside: ONCE ON THIS ISLAND!
This musical takes place in the Caribbean, and the immersive set at Circle in the Square Theatre makes it seem like you’re on stage on the Island with the cast. Chances are, an iPad is going to be the last thing on his/her mind! And, the show is only 90 minutes, so your relative won’t get squirmy during the show! Read more & get tickets HERE.
- The teenaged relative that wants a cool show to see: DEAR EVAN HANSEN!
This musical has become a voice of a generation. People of all ages have been relating to the messages in the show like “No one deserves to be forgotten” and “You will be found”. We have a feeling this will be the gift that keeps on giving! Read more & get tickets HERE.
- That crazy relative that loves to laugh: BOOK OF MORMON!
This musical will have you laughing so hard you cry. But beware, this show isn’t appropriate for audiences under 18, so just be sure that your crazy relative is okay with some raunchy humor! Read more & get tickets HERE.
- The crazy relative that loves to laugh, but may not love musicals, and may be under 18: THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG!
This straight play/ murder mystery is anything but scary- you’ll be laughing so hard you’ll forget that horrible casserole Aunt Mandy made for family dinner! Read more & get tickets HERE.
- The Master Chef-in-training: WAITRESS!
This musical smells just as good as it sounds! This could be an opportunity to show your Master Chef relative that maybe there is more to baking a great pie than just sugar, flour, and eggs. Read more & get tickets HERE.
And if you can’t make it to Broadway this holiday season, there is always BE A BROADWAY STAR! The board game that has you singing and dancing your way to the Broadway Hall of Fame! Read more & buy HERE (or Amazon!)
Happy holidays and happy watching!
Did you catch Tony Award winner Lea Salonga, Glee‘s Alex Newell and the cast of Once On This Island performing on the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade?
In case you missed it, check it out below or rewatch in honor of the production’s opening!
Once On This Island is the tale of Ti Moune, a fearless peasant girl who falls in love with a wealthy boy from the other side of the island. When their divided cultures keep them apart, Ti Moune is guided by the powerful island gods, Erzulie (Ms. Salonga), Asaka (Alex Newell, “Glee”), Papa Ge (Merle Dandridge, “Greenleaf”), and Agwe (Quentin Earl Darrington, Cats), on a remarkable quest to reunite with the man who has captured her heart.
Bursting with Caribbean colors, rhythms and dance, the story comes to vibrant life in a striking production by Tony Award®-nominated director Michael Arden (Spring Awakening revival) and acclaimed choreographer Camille A. Brown. This production transforms the reality of a tropical village devastated by a storm into a fantastical world alive with hope.
Come and gather around for Once On This Island, a triumph of the timeless power of theatre to bring us together, move our hearts, and help us conquer life’s storms. You are why we tell the story.
To book today, give us a call at 855-329-2932!
Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, it is officially the Holiday season! What better gift is there to give (and receive) than tickets to an amazing show that gets everyone in the holiday spirit? And what’s even better than that? Getting those tickets at a good price! There’s still enough time to cash in on Cyber Monday deals for Broadway tickets!
Here are a few Holiday-themed shows to enjoy in the next month:
- HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS
A host full of talent stars in this brand new Christmas extravaganza hitting New York this November. Home for the Holidays is a mixture of song, music and storytelling, led by a trio of talent show contest winners; America’s Got Talent winner Bianca Ryan, and American Idol winner Candice Glover, and The Voice’s season 6 winner Josh Kaufman. Backed by a eight-piece rhythm and brass band, they’ll be serenading the audience with everything from hymns and carols, to popular pop standards, such ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’. Home for the Holidays is much more than just a concert though. The whole show is narrated by Kaitlyn Bristowe (The Bachelorette), while Academy Award nominee Danny Aiello (Do the Right Thing, Leon) offers up stories of New York’s Yuletide season through the ages. There’ll also be appearances from a pair of Youtube stars, Peter and Evynne Hollens. This Holiday really has something for everyone.
August Wilson Theatre (245 W 52nd St) until December 30, 2017.
- THE NUTCRACKER
As the clock chimes midnight, a brave young girl turns the tide in a battle between toy soldiers and mischievous mice, and a blizzard of ballerinas reveals a wonderful world of confection. During the holiday period, the entire Company is immersed in activities surrounding George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®. All 90 dancers, 62 musicians, 32 stagehands and two casts of 50 young students each from the School of American Ballet join forces to make each performance as magical as possible. Children of all ages from New York City and the nation fill the David H. Koch Theater to be captivated by the lure of Tschaikovsky’s music, Balanchine’s choreography, Karinska’s sumptuous costumes, and Rouben Ter-Arutunian’s magical sets. George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®, based on the Alexandre Dumas pere version of E.T.A. Hoffmann’s tale, The Nutcracker and the Mouse King (1816), demands a full-scale production.
David H. Koch Theater (20 Lincoln Center Plaza) until December 31, 2017.
- RADIO CITY CHRISTMAS SPECTACULAR
A true New York City institution, the annual Radio City Christmas Spectacular is the sparkling, breath-taking way to get you in the Christmas spirit! Beginning in 1933, The Christmas Spectacular is an unforgettable display of sensational singing and dazzling dancing revolving around The Rockettes, the 36-strong world famous dance troupe, who expertly bring magical Yuletide scenes to life. Expect a series of stunning dance vignettes that includes a tender living rendition of The Nativity featuring real camels, sheep, and donkeys, to their very own version of The Nutcracker, complete with life-sized teddy bears dancing with Clara. And of course, no self-respecting holiday show would be without the great man himself, Santa Claus, drawn on a sleigh by a team of uber-glamorous reindeer. And not forgetting the glorious kickline of “12 days of Christmas” where the Rockettes are bedecked with holly and gold costumes. Whether nimbly navigating the classic ‘Parade of the Wooden Soldiers’ or winding through magical snowy forests dressed as candy canes, the impeccably talented Rockettes are a shining sight, decked out in glamorous costumes (each is adorned with over 3,000 Swarovski crystals) and performing on wondrously designed sets. Audiences will understand why this remarkable extravaganza is seen and beloved by over one million visitors a year. An exuberant and grand marvel, banish the humbugs from your life and delight the whole family with a pilgrimage to the country’s most lavish and loved Christmas Spectacular!
Radio City Music Hall (1260 Avenue of the Americas) until January 1, 2018.
- ELF: THE BROADWAY MUSICAL
Buddy is a young orphan child who mistakenly crawls into Santa’s sack of gifts and is taken back to the North Pole! Unaware that he is actually human, and not an elf like the rest of the community around him, Buddy’s enormous size and poor ability to make toys cause him to face the truth. With Santa’s permission, Buddy embarks on an adventure to New York City to find his real birth family. On arrival Buddy notices that New York doesn’t share the same outlook on Christmas as he does, Santa isn’t real in their eyes. His Father Walter is a book publisher and is more concerned about his job, rather than his family. It’s up to Buddy to inject the festive spirit into the city of New York, as well as bringing his family together to remember the true meaning of Christmas.
Theater at Madison Square Garden (4 Penn Plaza) until December 29, 2017.
- A CHRISTMAS CAROL
Seven performers are bringing to life (or death) 57 characters in this imaginative production brought to you by MOD Theatre Company, directed by Adam and Andrea Daveline. With clever action and creative staging, this ghostly retelling of the classic tale delivers a fresh look at tradition. The legendary Charles Dickens tale follows Ebenezer Scrooge, an old miser, through a night fraught with visitations from haunting holiday spirits; the first being his former business partner who passed away and comes to warn him of the three ghosts that will be visiting him: The Ghost of Christmas Past, Christmas Present, and Christmas yet to come. His whole life will be flashed before his eyes as he is led down a cold, bitter path to redemption.
Beckett Theatre (410 W 42nd St) until December 17, 2017.
Once On This Island, written by Ahrens and Flaherty (the duo behind Ragtime, Seussical, Anastasia) began previews November 9, 2017 and opens on December 3, 2017! It tells the tale of Ti Moune, a fearless peasant girl who falls in love with a wealthy boy from the other side of the island. When their divided cultures keep them apart, Ti Moune is guided by the powerful island gods, Erzulie (Ms. Salonga), Asaka (Alex Newell, “Glee”), Papa Ge (Merle Dandridge, “Greenleaf”), and Agwe (Quentin Earl Darrington, Cats), on a remarkable quest to reunite with the man who has captured her heart.
Even more, the show is done “in the round” at the Circle In The Square Theater. The stage and the seats are in a large oval shape, which means that there are no bad seats in the whole house! Every seat is like a premium seat… without the price of a premium seat! And if that’s not enough to have you sold, and Once On This Island is offering a best price guarantee! That means that if you find a lower advertised price than what the box office is offering, the box office will match it.
It was just released that the cast of Once On This Island is one of four Broadway shows set to perform at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade! Read HERE for more information and a really great sneak peak inside look at Once On This Island‘s rehearsal!
Win the friend and/or family member-of-the-year award and get discounted group tickets for your whole squad HERE.
Broadway Cares is a non-profit organization that raises money to fight AIDS. Since its founding in 1988 it has raised over $285 million and has helped innumerable people with AIDS, HIV, or HIV-related illnesses. Part of Broadway Cares’s fundraising effort is the Annual Gypsy of the Year Competition, which will be happening December 4 at 4:30 PM and December 5 at 2 pm. It will take place at the New Amsterdam Theatre (home of Aladdin)
The Competition celebrates the talented ensemble members of Broadway and Off- Broadway, who perform for a chance to win the Gypsy of the Year award. Plus, the shows that raise the most money in the six weeks before the Competition receive a Gypsy of the Year award!
Want to join in on the fun and help a great cause?
You can buy tickets to the Gypsy of the Year competition (starting at $30!) HERE, donate to your favorite Broadway show (and help them win an award), purchase experiences such as meet-and-greets and backstage tours, and also purchase signed CDs and memorabilia from your favorite shows! A $10 donation covers the cost of an HIV test at a health clinic, while a $50 donation covers the cost of 40 meals at a soup kitchen!
It’s hard to believe, but there is a show that has higher average ticket prices than Hamilton! The average price of a ticket for Hamilton this week was $272.24, which is at least $100 more than any other show (for example, the average price of a ticket for School of Rock this past week was $98.87!). Compare those numbers to the average price of a Springsteen ticket this past week, which was $496.72!
Not to worry, Your Broadway Genius is here to help!
There is a sweepstakes you can enter for the chance to win TWO FREE TICKETS to Springsteen On Broadway for Saturday, December 30th at 8 pm. That sounds like a holiday gift that will get you the “Best Friend/Relative/Significant Other etc” award for many holidays to come!
The sweepstakes is brought to you by a new show coming to Broadway this summer called Gettin’ the Band Back Together.
The Tony Award®-winning director of Urinetown returns to Broadway with Gettin’ The Band Back Together, a hilarious new musical comedy that The New York Times calls, “A feel-good class act! A playful, irreverent, and genuinely funny musical.”
Mitch Papadopolous always dreamed about being the next Bon Jovi, but he chose security over stardom and left those daydreams behind for a day job. For a while he thought he had everything – the high paying job, the high-rise apartment – until his 40th birthday when he got handed a pink slip and had to move back in with his Mom in Sayreville, New Jersey.
And when his high school arch nemesis (with a 20-year-old grudge and a tangerine spray tan) threatens to foreclose on their house, this big-shot banker must save his small-town home the only way he can… by winning The Battle of the Bands.
So he dusts off his guitar, gathers his old gang (the math teacher who isn’t good at math, the Irish cop who dreams about being on Broadway, the dermatologist who can’t get a date, and a 16-year-old Jewish rapper who makes Vanilla Ice look cool), and sets out to win the battle… and maybe even win back the high school sweetheart he left behind… proving it’s never too late to give your dreams one last shot.
Gettin’ The Band Back Together will begin performances at Broadway’s Belasco Theatre beginning July 19, 2018. For tickets, give us a call at 877-943-2929!
If you’ve never been on The Producer’s Perspective website, then as soon as you’re done reading this post you have to check it out. It’s the personal blog of Broadway producer Ken Davenport that’s filled with interesting trivia, tips on how to be successful in the biz, and lessons learned from Ken’s personal experiences.
On Saturday, November 11 and Sunday, November 12 there will be the first ever Producer’s Perspective Super Conference. The conference consists of industry professionals speaking about their careers and offering advice and information to the Pros who attend! A few speakers to look out for are Ken Davenport, Lynn Ahrens, Leigh Silverman, John Rando, Jennifer Ashley Tepper, among many others!
This is something you definitely do not want to miss! General Admission pricing ends October 31! To sign up click HERE
Now that October has begun, it is officially Halloween season! We can’t think of a better place to spend the holiday than Broadway- so here is a breakdown of what you can expect during the days surrounding Halloween.
SHOWS TO SEE ON TUESDAY, OCTOBER 31:
- The Band’s Visit
- The Book of Mormon
- A Bronx Tale
- Come From Away
- Dear Evan Hansen
- Latin History for Morons
- The Lion King
- Miss Saigon
- The Play That Goes Wrong
- Springsteen on Broadway
- Time and the Conways
- War Paint
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 31 CANCELLED:
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Hello, Dolly!
- Kinky Boots
- M. Butterfly
- Meteor Shower
- Phantom of the Opera
- School of Rock
ADDED MONDAY, OCTOBER 30 SHOW:
- The Band’s Visit 8 pm
- Hamilton 7 pm
- Kinky Boots 8 pm
- M. Butterfly 7 pm
- Waitress 7 pm
- Wicked 7 pm
Don’t hesitate! Start planning your costume and get your tickets today! For the best group rates click HERE
Jason Mraz, who is known for his hits like “I’m Yours” and “I Won’t Give Up” is joining the cast of Waitress on Friday, November 3! His run will last for ten weeks until Sunday, January 14, 2018. He’ll be playing the role of Dr. Pomatter alongside Betsy Wolfe who plays Jenna.
Inspired by Adrienne Shelly’s beloved film, Waitress tells the story of Jenna, a waitress and expert pie maker who dreams of a way out of her small town and loveless marriage. A baking contest in a nearby county and the town’s new doctor may offer her a chance at a fresh start, while her fellow waitresses offer their own recipes for happiness. But Jenna must summon the strength and courage to rebuild her own life.
For discount group tickets click HERE or call us at 877-943-2929