The ball has dropped, the calendar has turned, and now it is 2018! Broadway is, as Hamilton says, “non-stop,” and we have plenty of updates on tickets, extensions, casting, and everything in between. Here’s everything you may have missed since the new year!
ONCE ON THIS ISLAND – Norm Lewis and Tamyra Gray have stepped into the roles of Agwe and Papa Ge, have stepped into the cast of the celebrated revival of Once on This Island!
- Once on This Island is the universal tale of Ti Moune, a fearless peasant girl in search of her place in the world, and ready to risk it all for love. Guided by the mighty island gods (played by Tony Award® winner Lea Salonga, Alex Newell, Tamyra Gray, and Norm Lewis), Ti Moune sets out on a remarkable journey to reunite with the man who has captured her heart. The groundbreaking vision of Tony Award-nominated director Michael Arden (Spring Awakening revival) and acclaimed choreographer Camille A. Brown conjures up “a place where magic is possible and beauty is apparent for all to see!” (The Huffington Post). Gather around for ONCE ON THIS ISLAND—the musical NY1 hails as “exhilarating theater! It’s impossible to resist!” And where the timeless power of theatre brings us together, moves our hearts, and helps us weather the storm.
CHICAGO – The company of Chicago is pleased to welcome Grammy Award-winning Singer-Songwriter, Actress and TV Sensation Kandi Burruss for eight weeks only! Burress is making her Broadway debut at the Ambassador Theatre as Matron “Mama” Morton through March 11th. In addition, tickets for Chicago are now on sale through September 30.
- With a legendary book by Fred Ebb and Bob Fosse, music by John Kander and lyrics by Fred Ebb, Chicago is now the #1 longest-running American musical in Broadway history. Set amidst the razzle-dazzle decadence of the 1920s, Chicago is the story of Roxie Hart, a housewife and nightclub dancer who murders her on-the-side lover after he threatens to walk out on her. Desperate to avoid conviction, she dupes the public, the media and her rival cellmate, Velma Kelly, by hiring Chicago’s slickest criminal lawyer to transform her malicious crime into a barrage of sensational headlines, the likes of which might just as easily be ripped from today’s tabloids.
ROCKTOPIA – Pat Monahan, creator and lead singer of the band TRAIN, is joining the company of ROCKTOPIA from March 20 to April 8! Catch this electrifying new theatrical event for six weeks at the Broadway Theatre from March 20th to April 29.
- ROCKTOPIA is Broadway’s new theatrical event featuring the greatest music from today and all time—from the dramatic sweep of Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky and Copland, to the modern drive of Pink Floyd, Styx, Journey, Queen and more. Six world-class vocalists and a powerfully large choir, backed by a full symphony orchestra and a five-piece rock band, perform the world’s most legendary music in a totally unique fusion of sounds like never heard before.
Cruel Intentions: The ’90s Musical Experience – Cruel Intentions has extended it’s run for the second time! Tickets are now on sale through March 16th for this “ultimate night out!” – Entertainment Weekly.
- Cruel Intentions: The ’90s Musical Experience pulls you into the manipulative world of Manhattan’s most dangerous liaisons: Sebastian Valmont and Kathryn Merteuil. Seduced by revenge and fueled by passion, the two diabolically charming step-siblings place a bet on whether or not Sebastian can deflower their incoming headmaster’s daughter, Annette Hargrove. As the two set out to destroy the innocent girl—and anyone who gets in their way—they find themselves entangled in a web of secrets, temptation, and the cruelest game of all: love. Featuring your favorite throwback hits by artists like Boyz II Men, Christina Aguilera, REM, *NSYNC, and, of course, Britney Spears, NYC’s most intoxicating new musical is a full-on ’90s party. Yes, it’s the movie you love, set to the songs you know, performed live, with drinks…and missing out might just ruin your reputation.
Puffs, or: Seven Increasingly Eventful Years at a Certain School of Magic and Magic – Puffs, the smash play based on the hit novel about “The Boy Who Lived,” has extended at New World Stages through November 4! The weekly playing schedule also includes two weekend “family friendly” matinees – made for wizards ages 8 and up.
- “‘Hufflepuffs’ finally get their moment in HILARIOUS Potter play, ‘PUFFS’!!” declares Mashable. For seven years a certain boy wizard went to a certain Wizard School and conquered evil. This, however, is not his story. This is the story of the Puffs… who just happened to be there too. A tale for anyone who has never been destined to save the world. The New York Times proclaims PUFFS, “A FAST-PACED ROMP through the ‘Seven Increasingly Eventful Years at a Certain School of Magic and Magic.’ For POTTERphiliacs who grew up alongside Potter and are eager to revisit that world, ‘PUFFS’ exudes a jovial, winking fondness for all things Harry!” This clever and inventive play “never goes more than a minute without a laugh” (Nerdist) giving you a new look at a familiar adventure from the perspective of three potential heroes just trying to make it through a magic school that proves to be very dangerous for children. Alongside them are the Puffs, a group of well-meaning, loyal outsiders with a thing for badgers “who are so lovable and relatable, you’ll leave the theater wishing they were in the stories all along” (Hollywood Life). Their “hilariously heartfelt!” (Metro) and epic journey takes the classic story to new places and reimagines what a boy wizard hero can be.