Ah, New York City. The hustle and bustle, the bright lights, the invigorating vibe – and the lack of places to pee.
Now don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of public restrooms in Midtown, but it’s so hard to find them! To this day, after living in Manhattan for almost two years, I still find myself searching diligently in Times Square for a pre-show bathroom break pitstop. The task gets even harder when you’re a big group in a small space. We want to make your next Broadway excursion with your group even easier. We’ve found many accessible places to use the restroom beyond the confounds of the bus and the theatre! Here are our Broadway Bathroom Genius hacks (because admit it – we all were wondering).
- Hotels – If you saw our last blog post on “Where to charge your phone in Midtown”, you probably saw that hotels are one of your best bets. Well, as you might imagine, they’re also your best bet for finding restrooms.
- The Marriott Marquis (1535 Broadway (between 45th and 46th)): 8th floor
- The Grand Hyatt (109 E 42nd St. – near GC): a much nicer alternative to the packed Grand Central bathrooms!
- The Disney Store (1540 Broadway) – 2nd floor, near the back, on the right
- Grand Central Station – though I prefer going to the Grand Hyatt next door, Grand Central has many bathrooms. Just head to the main terminal and downstairs (the Dining Concourse)!
- Coffee shops (the big ones only!)
- Caffebene (1611 Broadway (between 48th and 49th)) – only open to customers, so make sure you buy something and check out your receipt before you chuck it – on occasion, there’s a bathroom code on it!
- Starbucks (1530 Broadway)
- Bryant Park (42nd St. btwn 5th and 6th)
- McDonald’s (220 W 42nd St.)
- Barnes and Noble Midtown @ Rockefeller Center (555 Fifth Ave.)
- Port Authority Bus Terminal (625 8th Ave.)
So don’t be the group that takes up the entire theatre bathroom – run to one of these Genius hacks beforehand, and come to the theatre ready to sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!