Taylor Trensch began performances earlier than expected in the 2017 Tony Award-winning musical Dear Evan Hansen. Splitting the last week of January and the first week of February with current star Noah Galvin, Trensch was set to begin performances officially on February 6.
- A letter that was never meant to be seen, a lie that was never meant to be told, a life he never dreamed he could have. Evan Hansen is about to get the one thing he’s always wanted: a chance to finally fit in. Both deeply personal and profoundly contemporary, Dear Evan Hansen is a new American musical about life and the way we live it. Hailed by critics and audiences alike, this bold new musical moved Peter Marks of The Washington Post to declare it: “A heart-piercing trip to the place that musical theater can sometimes take us to.”And Charles Isherwood of The New York Times to call it: “A fresh, vibrant musical that opens the heart and the mind.”
If you just can’t get enough of ‘the biz’, these podcasts are for you!
If you are interested in how shows are produced and what goes on ‘behind the scenes’, this podcast is for you! Listen as Tony Award Winning Broadway Producer Ken Davenport interviews a different Broadway professional each week to get their perspective on The Great White Way.
If you just want someone to talk to about your favorite shows, Jimi and Tommy will be your new best friends. Additionally, check out their YouTube channels for more fun, Broadway-related content!
This podcast is full of good times with your favorite Broadway personalities. Kick back, listen in, and grab a drink (if you are legal) with these fine folks as they speak and drink with members of the theatre community.
Listen in to this documentary-style podcast that explores how a show develops from an idea to a full blown Broadway show. This podcast features behind-the-scenes stories straight from the horse’s mouth about your favorite Broadway productions.
This choice is a bit of a cheat. Masterworks Broadway actually produces multiple different podcasts. From a series on Sondheim to interviews with the cast and creative team from Avenue Q, Masterworks Broadway is bound to have a podcast that perks your ears.
Welcome back to the blog! The last week of January featured some star-studded announcements, and some big new productions coming up for the spring and summer.
Sara Bareilles extends in WAITRESS – Sara Bareilles will be staying with the diner even longer! The Tony Award-nominated songwriter of the show has extended her run through March 11. Jason Mraz, currently in the role of Dr. Pottamer, will finish his run on February 11, with original cast member Drew Gehlig returning to the roll on February 13.
Based on the 2007 motion picture written by Adrienne Shelly, the new Broadway musical, Waitress, has a book by Jessie Nelson, music and lyrics by five-time Grammy Award-nominated singer-songwriter Sara Bareilles and direction by Tony Award-winner Diane Paulus. Jenna, a waitress and expert pie maker, is stuck in a small town and a loveless marriage. When a baking contest in a nearby county offers her a chance at escape, Jenna must weigh her commitments against a rare shot at freedom and recognition. Her customers, co-workers, and the town’s handsome new doctor all offer her conflicting recipes for happiness – but Jenna must ultimately decide for herself.
Complete casting for THE ICEMAN COMETH – A full cast list has been set for the latest revival of Eugene O’Neill’s drama The Iceman Cometh. Joining Denzel Washington as Hickey and Tammy Blanchard as Cora are Tony Award winners Frank Wood as Cecil Lewis and Bill Irwin as Ed Mosher, Tony nominee Reg Rogers as James Cameron, Olivier nominee Colm Meaney as Harry Hope, David Morse as Larry Slade, Carolyn Braver as Pearl, Austin Butler in his Broadway debut as Don Parritt, Joe Forbrich as Lieb, Nina Grollman making her Broadway debut as Margie, Thomas Michael Hammond as Moran, Neal Huff as Willie Oban, Danny Mastrogiorgio as Chuck Morello, Dakin Matthews as Piet Wetjoen, Jack McGee in his Broadway debut as Pat McGloin, Clark Middleton as Hugo Kalmar, and Michael Potts as Joe Mott.
Two-time Academy Award winner and Tony Award winner Denzel Washington returns to Broadway in one of the signal roles in the American theatre in Eugene O’Neill’s The Iceman Cometh, for 14 weeks only. Frank Rich of The New York Times raved, “the word ‘masterwork’ is not invoked lightly. Eugene O’Neill’s tragic vision remains undiminished by time. The Iceman Cometh is a ferocious American classic that has lost none of its power to send one shaking into the middle of the night.” Beginning March 22, 2018, Denzel Washington, fresh off his extraordinary sell-out runs in both Fences and A Raisin in the Sun, comes back to the Main Stem in “the greatest American play” (New York Magazine) by “the greatest American playwright” (The Washington Post).
HEAD OVER HEELS announces a Broadway run, complete with theatre, dates, and casting – Head Over Heels, the Broadway producing debut of Hollywood star Gwyneth Paltrow, will be playing at the Hudson Theatre following a run at San Francisco’s Curran this spring! The musical, featuring the songs of the Go-Go’s to tell an updated take on Philip Sidney’s Arcadia, will begin previews on June 23 prior to a July 26 opening night. The cast stars Jeremy Kushnier, Rachel York, Alexandra Socha, Andrew Durand, Taylor Iman Jones, Bonnie Milligan, Tom Alan Robbins, and in her Broadway debut, the runner-up of the ninth season of RuPaul’s Drag Race, Peppermint. When the production opens this summer, Peppermint will become the first performer who identifies as a trans woman to originate a principal role on Broadway. Rounding out the ensemble is Sharon Catherine Brown, Yurel Echezarreta, Lisa Finegold, Brian Flores, Ari Groover, Tanya Haglund, Arica Jackson, Gregory Liles, Gavin Lodge, Samantha Pollino, Justin Prescott, Tanner Ray Wilson, and Ricardo Zayas.
- There’s a duke, a mysterious prophecy and two daughters: one mobbed by suitors, the other…not so much. All of this is set to the beat of 1980s pop icons the Go-Go’s, including such hits as “We Got the Beat,” “Get Up and Go,” “Cool Jerk,” “Vacation,” “Our Lips Are Sealed,” “Lust to Love,” “Head Over Heels” and Belinda Carlisle’s solo hits “Mad About You” and “Heaven Is a Place on Earth.”
THE PROM releases initial Broadway casting – The new Broadway musical The Prom, which had its world premiere in 2016 at The Alliance Theatre in Atlanta, has announced initial casting for its Broadway run! Starring in this new musical will be Brooks Ashmanskas, Beth Leavel, Christopher Sieber, Caitlin Kinnunen, Isabelle McCalla, Michael Potts, Angie Schworer, Courtenay Collins and Josh Lamon. The announcement also featured an official opening night of November 15, at a Shubert Theatre to be announced.
- Emma becomes an instant outcast—and a national headline—when her high school cancels the prom rather than let her attend with her girlfriend. Sensing a chance to correct an injustice—and maybe get some good publicity along the way—a group of fading celebrities takes up the cause, and invades Emma’s small Indiana town. But their bumbling attempts at social activism make the situation far worse than they—or Emma—could have ever imagined. Cultures clash and the town erupts in chaos. The community’s reputation, Emma’s future, and the celebrities’ careers, all hang in the balance until a true hero emerges to save the day. Uproarious and ultimately uplifting, this new musical proves that standing up for yourself—and inspiring others to accept their differences—can make you the star you were always meant to be.
It’s a month into 2018 and about the time when we conveniently ‘forget’ our New Year’s resolutions. But not this year!
This year we are challenging ourselves to stay true to our resolutions, no matter what they are. And what better way to do that than with the help of a playlist full of the most energizing show tunes to pump us up.
Whether your resolution is to stay fit this year or be more productive, this killer playlist will keep you energized and motivated.
The ball has dropped, the calendar has turned, and now it is 2018! Broadway is, as Hamilton says, “non-stop,” and we have plenty of updates on tickets, extensions, casting, and everything in between. Here’s everything you may have missed since the new year!
ONCE ON THIS ISLAND – Norm Lewis and Tamyra Gray have stepped into the roles of Agwe and Papa Ge, have stepped into the cast of the celebrated revival of Once on This Island!
- Once on This Island is the universal tale of Ti Moune, a fearless peasant girl in search of her place in the world, and ready to risk it all for love. Guided by the mighty island gods (played by Tony Award® winner Lea Salonga, Alex Newell, Tamyra Gray, and Norm Lewis), Ti Moune sets out on a remarkable journey to reunite with the man who has captured her heart. The groundbreaking vision of Tony Award-nominated director Michael Arden (Spring Awakening revival) and acclaimed choreographer Camille A. Brown conjures up “a place where magic is possible and beauty is apparent for all to see!” (The Huffington Post). Gather around for ONCE ON THIS ISLAND—the musical NY1 hails as “exhilarating theater! It’s impossible to resist!” And where the timeless power of theatre brings us together, moves our hearts, and helps us weather the storm.
CHICAGO – The company of Chicago is pleased to welcome Grammy Award-winning Singer-Songwriter, Actress and TV Sensation Kandi Burruss for eight weeks only! Burress is making her Broadway debut at the Ambassador Theatre as Matron “Mama” Morton through March 11th. In addition, tickets for Chicago are now on sale through September 30.
- With a legendary book by Fred Ebb and Bob Fosse, music by John Kander and lyrics by Fred Ebb, Chicago is now the #1 longest-running American musical in Broadway history. Set amidst the razzle-dazzle decadence of the 1920s, Chicago is the story of Roxie Hart, a housewife and nightclub dancer who murders her on-the-side lover after he threatens to walk out on her. Desperate to avoid conviction, she dupes the public, the media and her rival cellmate, Velma Kelly, by hiring Chicago’s slickest criminal lawyer to transform her malicious crime into a barrage of sensational headlines, the likes of which might just as easily be ripped from today’s tabloids.
ROCKTOPIA – Pat Monahan, creator and lead singer of the band TRAIN, is joining the company of ROCKTOPIA from March 20 to April 8! Catch this electrifying new theatrical event for six weeks at the Broadway Theatre from March 20th to April 29.
- ROCKTOPIA is Broadway’s new theatrical event featuring the greatest music from today and all time—from the dramatic sweep of Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky and Copland, to the modern drive of Pink Floyd, Styx, Journey, Queen and more. Six world-class vocalists and a powerfully large choir, backed by a full symphony orchestra and a five-piece rock band, perform the world’s most legendary music in a totally unique fusion of sounds like never heard before.
Cruel Intentions: The ’90s Musical Experience – Cruel Intentions has extended it’s run for the second time! Tickets are now on sale through March 16th for this “ultimate night out!” – Entertainment Weekly.
- Cruel Intentions: The ’90s Musical Experience pulls you into the manipulative world of Manhattan’s most dangerous liaisons: Sebastian Valmont and Kathryn Merteuil. Seduced by revenge and fueled by passion, the two diabolically charming step-siblings place a bet on whether or not Sebastian can deflower their incoming headmaster’s daughter, Annette Hargrove. As the two set out to destroy the innocent girl—and anyone who gets in their way—they find themselves entangled in a web of secrets, temptation, and the cruelest game of all: love. Featuring your favorite throwback hits by artists like Boyz II Men, Christina Aguilera, REM, *NSYNC, and, of course, Britney Spears, NYC’s most intoxicating new musical is a full-on ’90s party. Yes, it’s the movie you love, set to the songs you know, performed live, with drinks…and missing out might just ruin your reputation.
Puffs, or: Seven Increasingly Eventful Years at a Certain School of Magic and Magic – Puffs, the smash play based on the hit novel about “The Boy Who Lived,” has extended at New World Stages through November 4! The weekly playing schedule also includes two weekend “family friendly” matinees – made for wizards ages 8 and up.
- “‘Hufflepuffs’ finally get their moment in HILARIOUS Potter play, ‘PUFFS’!!” declares Mashable. For seven years a certain boy wizard went to a certain Wizard School and conquered evil. This, however, is not his story. This is the story of the Puffs… who just happened to be there too. A tale for anyone who has never been destined to save the world. The New York Times proclaims PUFFS, “A FAST-PACED ROMP through the ‘Seven Increasingly Eventful Years at a Certain School of Magic and Magic.’ For POTTERphiliacs who grew up alongside Potter and are eager to revisit that world, ‘PUFFS’ exudes a jovial, winking fondness for all things Harry!” This clever and inventive play “never goes more than a minute without a laugh” (Nerdist) giving you a new look at a familiar adventure from the perspective of three potential heroes just trying to make it through a magic school that proves to be very dangerous for children. Alongside them are the Puffs, a group of well-meaning, loyal outsiders with a thing for badgers “who are so lovable and relatable, you’ll leave the theater wishing they were in the stories all along” (Hollywood Life). Their “hilariously heartfelt!” (Metro) and epic journey takes the classic story to new places and reimagines what a boy wizard hero can be.
There is something special about NYC in the wintertime. The tree in Rockefeller Center, the windows at Saks, and the cold weather- which brings out the great winter accessories and a desire to go inside and stay inside! We can think of a few places that you could spend a few hours indoors beating the cold… Perhaps it’s the Al Hirschfeld theatre, or maybe it’s the Majestic.
The best part about gifting someone a ticket to a Broadway show is that usually tickets come in pairs! So, it’s a gift for someone else…. but also a gift for you! We all have those family members that are hard to shop for, so here’s a little inspiration if you’re feeling down on your luck:
- The relative that’s too stylish & trendy and most likely returns everything you buy him/her: KINKY BOOTS!
This musical is all about fashion, style, and sass. Your fashionable relative will love all the amazing costumes, knockout songs, and of course- fabulous boots this show has to offer! Read more & get tickets HERE.
- The younger relative that likes his/her iPad more than playing outside: ONCE ON THIS ISLAND!
This musical takes place in the Caribbean, and the immersive set at Circle in the Square Theatre makes it seem like you’re on stage on the Island with the cast. Chances are, an iPad is going to be the last thing on his/her mind! And, the show is only 90 minutes, so your relative won’t get squirmy during the show! Read more & get tickets HERE.
- The teenaged relative that wants a cool show to see: DEAR EVAN HANSEN!
This musical has become a voice of a generation. People of all ages have been relating to the messages in the show like “No one deserves to be forgotten” and “You will be found”. We have a feeling this will be the gift that keeps on giving! Read more & get tickets HERE.
- That crazy relative that loves to laugh: BOOK OF MORMON!
This musical will have you laughing so hard you cry. But beware, this show isn’t appropriate for audiences under 18, so just be sure that your crazy relative is okay with some raunchy humor! Read more & get tickets HERE.
- The crazy relative that loves to laugh, but may not love musicals, and may be under 18: THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG!
This straight play/ murder mystery is anything but scary- you’ll be laughing so hard you’ll forget that horrible casserole Aunt Mandy made for family dinner! Read more & get tickets HERE.
- The Master Chef-in-training: WAITRESS!
This musical smells just as good as it sounds! This could be an opportunity to show your Master Chef relative that maybe there is more to baking a great pie than just sugar, flour, and eggs. Read more & get tickets HERE.
And if you can’t make it to Broadway this holiday season, there is always BE A BROADWAY STAR! The board game that has you singing and dancing your way to the Broadway Hall of Fame! Read more & buy HERE (or Amazon!)
Happy holidays and happy watching!
Did you catch Tony Award winner Lea Salonga, Glee‘s Alex Newell and the cast of Once On This Island performing on the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade?
In case you missed it, check it out below or rewatch in honor of the production’s opening!
Once On This Island is the tale of Ti Moune, a fearless peasant girl who falls in love with a wealthy boy from the other side of the island. When their divided cultures keep them apart, Ti Moune is guided by the powerful island gods, Erzulie (Ms. Salonga), Asaka (Alex Newell, “Glee”), Papa Ge (Merle Dandridge, “Greenleaf”), and Agwe (Quentin Earl Darrington, Cats), on a remarkable quest to reunite with the man who has captured her heart.
Bursting with Caribbean colors, rhythms and dance, the story comes to vibrant life in a striking production by Tony Award®-nominated director Michael Arden (Spring Awakening revival) and acclaimed choreographer Camille A. Brown. This production transforms the reality of a tropical village devastated by a storm into a fantastical world alive with hope.
Come and gather around for Once On This Island, a triumph of the timeless power of theatre to bring us together, move our hearts, and help us conquer life’s storms. You are why we tell the story.
To book today, give us a call at 855-329-2932!
Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, it is officially the Holiday season! What better gift is there to give (and receive) than tickets to an amazing show that gets everyone in the holiday spirit? And what’s even better than that? Getting those tickets at a good price! There’s still enough time to cash in on Cyber Monday deals for Broadway tickets!
Here are a few Holiday-themed shows to enjoy in the next month:
- HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS
A host full of talent stars in this brand new Christmas extravaganza hitting New York this November. Home for the Holidays is a mixture of song, music and storytelling, led by a trio of talent show contest winners; America’s Got Talent winner Bianca Ryan, and American Idol winner Candice Glover, and The Voice’s season 6 winner Josh Kaufman. Backed by a eight-piece rhythm and brass band, they’ll be serenading the audience with everything from hymns and carols, to popular pop standards, such ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’. Home for the Holidays is much more than just a concert though. The whole show is narrated by Kaitlyn Bristowe (The Bachelorette), while Academy Award nominee Danny Aiello (Do the Right Thing, Leon) offers up stories of New York’s Yuletide season through the ages. There’ll also be appearances from a pair of Youtube stars, Peter and Evynne Hollens. This Holiday really has something for everyone.
August Wilson Theatre (245 W 52nd St) until December 30, 2017.
- THE NUTCRACKER
As the clock chimes midnight, a brave young girl turns the tide in a battle between toy soldiers and mischievous mice, and a blizzard of ballerinas reveals a wonderful world of confection. During the holiday period, the entire Company is immersed in activities surrounding George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®. All 90 dancers, 62 musicians, 32 stagehands and two casts of 50 young students each from the School of American Ballet join forces to make each performance as magical as possible. Children of all ages from New York City and the nation fill the David H. Koch Theater to be captivated by the lure of Tschaikovsky’s music, Balanchine’s choreography, Karinska’s sumptuous costumes, and Rouben Ter-Arutunian’s magical sets. George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®, based on the Alexandre Dumas pere version of E.T.A. Hoffmann’s tale, The Nutcracker and the Mouse King (1816), demands a full-scale production.
David H. Koch Theater (20 Lincoln Center Plaza) until December 31, 2017.
- RADIO CITY CHRISTMAS SPECTACULAR
A true New York City institution, the annual Radio City Christmas Spectacular is the sparkling, breath-taking way to get you in the Christmas spirit! Beginning in 1933, The Christmas Spectacular is an unforgettable display of sensational singing and dazzling dancing revolving around The Rockettes, the 36-strong world famous dance troupe, who expertly bring magical Yuletide scenes to life. Expect a series of stunning dance vignettes that includes a tender living rendition of The Nativity featuring real camels, sheep, and donkeys, to their very own version of The Nutcracker, complete with life-sized teddy bears dancing with Clara. And of course, no self-respecting holiday show would be without the great man himself, Santa Claus, drawn on a sleigh by a team of uber-glamorous reindeer. And not forgetting the glorious kickline of “12 days of Christmas” where the Rockettes are bedecked with holly and gold costumes. Whether nimbly navigating the classic ‘Parade of the Wooden Soldiers’ or winding through magical snowy forests dressed as candy canes, the impeccably talented Rockettes are a shining sight, decked out in glamorous costumes (each is adorned with over 3,000 Swarovski crystals) and performing on wondrously designed sets. Audiences will understand why this remarkable extravaganza is seen and beloved by over one million visitors a year. An exuberant and grand marvel, banish the humbugs from your life and delight the whole family with a pilgrimage to the country’s most lavish and loved Christmas Spectacular!
Radio City Music Hall (1260 Avenue of the Americas) until January 1, 2018.
- ELF: THE BROADWAY MUSICAL
Buddy is a young orphan child who mistakenly crawls into Santa’s sack of gifts and is taken back to the North Pole! Unaware that he is actually human, and not an elf like the rest of the community around him, Buddy’s enormous size and poor ability to make toys cause him to face the truth. With Santa’s permission, Buddy embarks on an adventure to New York City to find his real birth family. On arrival Buddy notices that New York doesn’t share the same outlook on Christmas as he does, Santa isn’t real in their eyes. His Father Walter is a book publisher and is more concerned about his job, rather than his family. It’s up to Buddy to inject the festive spirit into the city of New York, as well as bringing his family together to remember the true meaning of Christmas.
Theater at Madison Square Garden (4 Penn Plaza) until December 29, 2017.
- A CHRISTMAS CAROL
Seven performers are bringing to life (or death) 57 characters in this imaginative production brought to you by MOD Theatre Company, directed by Adam and Andrea Daveline. With clever action and creative staging, this ghostly retelling of the classic tale delivers a fresh look at tradition. The legendary Charles Dickens tale follows Ebenezer Scrooge, an old miser, through a night fraught with visitations from haunting holiday spirits; the first being his former business partner who passed away and comes to warn him of the three ghosts that will be visiting him: The Ghost of Christmas Past, Christmas Present, and Christmas yet to come. His whole life will be flashed before his eyes as he is led down a cold, bitter path to redemption.
Beckett Theatre (410 W 42nd St) until December 17, 2017.
Tickets just went on sale this week for King Kong on Broadway! Everyone’s favorite 2,000 pound gorilla is set to arrive on Broadway in November 2018 after a run in Australia in 2013.
From Jack Thorne, the acclaimed writer of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, comes a thrilling theatrical take on the world’s most epic modern myth. Directed and choreographed by Olivier Award winner Drew McOnie, with an electrifying new score by Marius de Vries (La La Land) and Eddie Perfect (Strictly Ballroom The Musical), KING KONG comes alive on Broadway through an innovative mix of robotics, puppetry and stagecraft. Follow an ambitious young actress and a maverick filmmaker as they voyage from the bustling streets of 1930s New York to an uncharted island to capture the greatest wonder the world has ever seen. At the center of this 21st-century reimagining: a 2,000-pound gorilla brought roaring to life by a team of seamlessly integrated artists and technicians. Don’t miss this larger-than-life encounter with a legend that’s always been too big to contain.
Check out this video of some of the robotics behind King Kong’s movements HERE.
And of course, get the best-priced discount tickets by calling 877-943-2929 or clicking HERE.
Once On This Island, written by Ahrens and Flaherty (the duo behind Ragtime, Seussical, Anastasia) began previews November 9, 2017 and opens on December 3, 2017! It tells the tale of Ti Moune, a fearless peasant girl who falls in love with a wealthy boy from the other side of the island. When their divided cultures keep them apart, Ti Moune is guided by the powerful island gods, Erzulie (Ms. Salonga), Asaka (Alex Newell, “Glee”), Papa Ge (Merle Dandridge, “Greenleaf”), and Agwe (Quentin Earl Darrington, Cats), on a remarkable quest to reunite with the man who has captured her heart.
Even more, the show is done “in the round” at the Circle In The Square Theater. The stage and the seats are in a large oval shape, which means that there are no bad seats in the whole house! Every seat is like a premium seat… without the price of a premium seat! And if that’s not enough to have you sold, and Once On This Island is offering a best price guarantee! That means that if you find a lower advertised price than what the box office is offering, the box office will match it.
It was just released that the cast of Once On This Island is one of four Broadway shows set to perform at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade! Read HERE for more information and a really great sneak peak inside look at Once On This Island‘s rehearsal!
Win the friend and/or family member-of-the-year award and get discounted group tickets for your whole squad HERE.